The KETOGENIC diet is a very effective weight-loss program and a real lifestyle-changer. One of it's best features is the removal of ALL sugar - which in and of itself makes a great diet plan. However, with the KETO diet, you also power-load your meals and snacks with FATS to change the way your body creates energy. This diet turns the liver into a fat-burning energy creator, instead of utilizing sugar for fuel. This causes many changes in the body, and can be detrimental to the liver as a long-term eating plan. The best way to use the diet is once you have lost the weight you need, keep up with many of the guidelines to maintain your weight, but back off from so many fats in order to protect the liver from becoming fatty.
Laura Lamun, Grubb's Grocery's Health & Wellness Manager, and our Front End Manager, Chrystal Tims, have put together a list of thoughts about how to be successful with the KETO diet. Should you decide the KETOGENIC diet is for you, as always, both Laura and Chrystal are here to keep you on track.
Chrystal has been on the Keto Diet for 1 year, and has been more strict at times during weight loss, but now uses it as a low-carb maintenance diet. She has lost 50 pounds, and is in great health. She has said this is the ONLY diet she was ever able to stick with, because she did not feel so deprived of good foods. She has more energy, sleeps better, and has found the KETO diet really works for her!
What To Focus On
- Green Leafy Veggies - spinach, kale, lettuce, broccoli are super important for mineral content. Creamed spinach is great. Topping with Cheese and Butter are recommended for fat content.
- Roasted Root Veggies - beets, turnips, roast RADISHES to take place of potatoes
Your MACROS (Carbs, Sugar, Fat, Protein):
- Carbs - less than 20-25 grams /day - 5% of diet
- Sugars - 0 grams/day is the goal
- Fats - 70% of the diet, fat-loading is the basis of the diet
- Protein - 25% - limited and smaller portions 6-8 oz. at most
- Calculating Carbs - subtract FIBER and all sugar alcohols/non-caloric sweeteners from the total carbohydrate count
- Fruit - berries only, stay away from bananas and sugary fruit
- Butter - from cow's milk and nut butters (peanut, almond, pecan, sunflower, cashew)
- Milk - use nut milks like almond or coconut, no cow's milk, UNSWEETENED milks only
- Eggs - with cheese even better, use deviled eggs as snacks
- Avocados, Cheese, Brazil Nuts - GOOD
- Flavored Waters - no-calorie mineral and sparkling waters fill you up and make great snacks
- Pork Rinds, Olives, Cream Cheese - fatty and good
- Bacon - with everything, to flavor soups, wraps, breakfast
- Lemon Water - drink every morning first thing to nourish your liver - VERY IMPORTANT
Lily’s chocolate chips, Rebel Keto ice cream, pepperoni with cheese, keto cereal, pork rinds, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, sausage, bacon, pimento cheese, jalapenos on cheese toast, celery with peanut butter, nush cakes, keto bars, flavored waters, avocado, butter & cinnamon roasted nuts, Cauliflower Tots, Veggie Fries
WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY - drink water! HERBAL TEAS! Berry Smoothies, Flavored water drops, too; plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar-free dark chocolate, have a chunk of cheese.
Bacon & Eggs, Broccoli (prepared like a Loaded Baked Potato), Cauliflower Pizza-Crust Pizza, Riced Cauliflower with Cheese, Sausage & Cheese Plate, Meat & Veggies, Keto Pancakes, Tons of Veggies, Seafood, Bunless Burgers with Cheese, Vegan Meats with Added Fats from Vegan Cheese or Avocado, Cheese Wraps with Lunchmeat and Mayo, Cheesy Cabbage Gratin, Lettuce Wraps, Cauliflower "Rice" Bowls, Cheesy Brussel Sprouts, Spiralized Veggie Pasta,Steak or Fish Tacos in Cheese Wraps, Tuna-Stuffed Avocado, Cauliflower Chowder
- Vitamin C - Trace Mineral "Go-Paks" or Emergen-C - check sugar content
- Magnesium - essential to prevent muscle cramps, stay high functioning
- Chlorophyll - can help with "odors" characteristic of diet from inside out
- Fiber - helpful for cleansing the intestines and colon, releasing fats from system
- Digestive Enzymes - help body adjust to new eating style
- Hair, Skin & Nails Vitamins - sometimes these suffer when dieting - supplementation helps
- Collagen - rebuilds connective tissue, heals gut issues, supports joints, hair, skin, nails
- Lemon Water - nourishes the liver
- Check Pinterest for ideas
- For Leg Cramps - drink more water, take magnesium supplements, more leafy greens, veggie juices
- “Easy Keto for Beginners” websites and blogs
- Carb Manager app can help keep track of eating/amounts
- YOUTUBE Videos: Dr. Eric Berg & Dr. Ken Berry
- Exercise when and how you can - "eat half / walk double"
- Grubb’s gets lots of new Keto items every day
- Ask Chrystal if you have trouble - she is our resident expert and is on the KETO diet long term and successfully
- Intermittent Fasting - can be very helpful, choose 8 hours to eat within, fast the other 16 hours (no food)
- Use only NATURAL calorie-free sweeteners: STEVIA, ERYTHRITOL, MONK FRUIT, ALLULOSE. Artificial sweeteners are deadly, and are linked to a number of negative health attributes including obesity, cancer, and ADHD.
- Eating so many FATS keeps you from getting hungry. In fact, a calorie of FAT has 9 grams of ENERGY. Both Carbohydrates and Protein have only 4 grams of energy per calorie. Therefore, eating more fats can greatly extend the efficiency of every calorie you consume.
- After being on the KETO Plan for a week or so, eating sugar may make you feel “off.” Avoid all sugars.
- "Keto-Flu" is when you are low on minerals and experience flu-like symptoms. Taking a mineral supplement usually helps. EAT LEAFY GREENS, get more veggies in the diet for minerals. High pH water may help.